Monday, July 2, 2012

Granite Quarry, Halibut Point State Park, Rockport, MA

Rockport. Mass is one of my favorite places on this earth. I try to visit it at least once a year when I am in the USA. I am feeling a little bit of withdrawal because I haven't been there for 4 years. I visited the spring of 2008 before I went to Ghana with the Peace Corps. So today I am taking you and me down memory lane to the Granite Quarry at Halibut Point State Park.

Let's take a walk down this wooded path to get to the quarry.

Shaded path with stripes of sun at Halibut Point State Park

Just a moment while I stop and shoot the shadow and light on this fallen tree.

Sunlight and shadows on a fallen log at Halibut Point State Park

When you come to the quarry take a right. You'll see the water filled quarry and beyond the trees the Atlantic Ocean.

Seagulls perching on a slab of granite at Halibut State Park

Not to far to the right I came upon this image. I loved the contrast between the granite, so solid and lasting and the branches, here in the spring and gone in winter. 

A triangle of granite with branches to the right with water in the background at Halibut Point State Park.

Let's keep walking. About 1/2 way around you can see the museum and gift shop across the quarry.

I couldn't resist making a photograph of this weed/flower growing out of the granite slab. 

White flowers/weeds growing out of a piece of granite with water in the background at Halibut Point State Park
We will take one last look across the water filled quarry before leaving and heading into Rockport. I'll take you to Rockport another day.

A view from a slab of granite at the water filled quarry at Halibut Point State Park.

Oh but I couldn't resist returning that evening and taking a sunset photograph.

Sunset on the water filled quarry at Halibut Point State Park

If you want more information about park and it's history check out their website. Halibut Point State Park

-vc



No comments:

Post a Comment